Dear Spring community,
I’m pleased to announce that Spring 1.1.2 has just been released. This is a bugfix and minor enhancement release. Among the new features are:
* added support for multi-dimensional collections to BeanWrapperImpl (e.g. “map[myKey]” or “map[myKey].name”)
* added “getType(name)” method to BeanFactory interface, checking the type of object that “getBean” would return
* added “getBeansOfType(type)” convenience method to ListableBeanFactory interface, without explicit filters
* added PropertyPathFactoryBean, allowing to evaluate the property path of a target bean and expose the result
* allow “bean*” rather than “bean+” in XML bean definitions, i.e. no bean definitions in a file (just imports)
* AbstractApplicationContext automatically registers a context-aware ResourceArrayPropertyEditor for Resource arrays
* added GenericApplicationContext class, allowing for arbitrary definition formats (via a single internal BeanFactory)
* improved ResourceBundleMessageSource and ReloadableResourceBundleMessageSource implementations
* added “setText(plainText, htmlText)” method to MimeMessageHelper, for alternative texts in the same mail
* added “objectResult(collection,type)” and “intResult”/”longResult(collection)” convenience methods to DataAccessUtils
* added support for pre-bound Sessions (e.g. OpenSessionInViewFilter/Interceptor) with JTA and TransactionManagerLookup
* added “load(entity, id)” method to HibernateOperations and HibernateTemplate
* added “initialize” and “closeIterator” methods to HibernateOperations/Template, following “Hibernate.initialize/close”
* added “queryCacheRegion” property to HibernateTemplate, specifying the cache region used for queries
* added ServletContextResourcePatternResolver, to find matching resources within a web app even in an unexpanded WAR
* added “defaultStatusCode” property to SimpleMappingExceptionResolver, specifying the HTTP status code for error views
* UrlBasedViewResolver supports a “redirect:” prefix now, for convenient redirects through special view names
* added “springMessage”/”springMessageText” macros for Velocity and “message”/”messageText” macros for FreeMarker
For details, please have a look at the changelog.
Note that this Spring distribution comes with an updated HSQLDB version, namely 126.96.36.199. Unfortunately, the HSQLDB 1.7.2 branch is incompatible with 1.7.1 in some areas. While all Spring sample apps have been adapted accordingly, please be aware that updating your own applications with the new hsqldb.jar requires your HSQLDB server to be updated too (i.e. both need to run version 1.7.2). Furthermore, watch out when running on JBoss <3.2.6, which ships with HSQLDB 1.7.1 in the server classpath.
I have run into a few problems with HSQLDB mismatches. It has sometimes gotten quite mystical on how the problems came about.